I’m pretty much going to debunk the reasons that Deadspin seems to think my team – and its fans suck – from the start.
But first, I am going to say that anyone who wants to talk smack about the Steelers should really read the book I reviewed here.Â The Ones Who Hit the Hardest provides a lot of history about the Steelers, Pittsburgh and the NFL.Â Good read….
Now to go through Deadspin’s list…
1. It is never, EVER, a good thing when one NFL franchise has sole possession of the record for Most Super Bowls Won – well, then more teams should win more Super Bowls.Â No one is stopping them from winning.Â If you draft well, if you pick up decent free agents, if you play like a team together and you beat your opponents, you too can win a Super Bowl.Â I find it interesting that Deadspin is blaming the Steelers and their fans because we can say “Sixburgh.” And let’s be real, you don’t think you would hear “America’s team” a gazillion times if the Cowboys had won.
On this same point, the author talks about Pittsburgh and the lack of steelmills etc and how it’s more yuppified than Portland.Â True, there isn’t a lot of steel being manufactured in Pittsburgh, in fact, I think most steel is being manufactured in China at this point. But that doesn’t mean that the values that were part of that city in the 70′s don’t still exist – that’s what Steelers fans are talking about.Â People still put family first, they work hard and they are proud to be from Pennsylvania.
I have lived in Maryland for 11 years.Â Before that, I lived in California and before that Virginia.Â But I always have been a Steelers fan.Â I have talked about this many times, but my grandfather wasÂ Steelers fan, my parents are Steelers fans, my brother is a Steelers fan and my son and my nieces are Steelers fans.Â That’s why there are Steelers fans all over the country.Â Sure, not everyone has lived in Pittsburgh, my son was born in San Diego and has lived in Maryland most of his life, but he’s still a Steelers fan. There may be some bandwagoners out there, but many have a connection to Pittsburgh – and to be honest, the folks with the connections aren’t really thrilled with those who just are Steelers fans “just because” either, but we can’t tell people what teams to like or not like (except the Cowboys, you should not like them!)
And yes, there are obnoxious fans from every team, except maybe the Texans. But not everyone is obnoxious.Â I participate in friendly football banter on any given Sunday, but having lived in Maryland for 11 years and gone to grad school in Baltimore, I have plenty of friends who like the Ravens. I don’t hold it against them Â And truth be told, I have a lot of respect for the Ravens.Â The Browns, not so much, but the Ravens, yes.Â I’m not even going to say anything about Team Batman and Robin – they do enough speaking for the Bengals themselves.
2. Most annoying fans at the bar - apparently this writer hasn’t been to a bar with Cowboys fans, or Redskins fans, or a group of Eagles fans.Â I know, I know, he mentions the Eagles fans, but come on.Â Steelers fans aren’t the most obnoxious at all.Â Unless drunk.Â And in a suite with me at Soldier field in Chicago. Exactly one year ago today, as a matter of fact.Â But I blame that more on being drunk than actually focused on being obnoxious.
And the point the author makes about female Steelers fans, he’s a goofball.Â I’m posting the quote here just because I know my fellow female fans will have comments on this….I know I do….
And that’s not even the male fans. Yes, say hello to the NFL’s #1 favorite team among all women.Â And not just ANY women. I’m talking the loud, 300-lb., cock-blocking beastulas that are destined to one day drive retarded kids to school in the short bus. As annoying as loud fans are in the bar, they’re even more annoying when they are fat, shrill women.
3. Deadspin editors hate us – we don’t care. I am not really a big fan of deadspin, so we’re even.Â I think the writing tends to be the equivalent of Fox News teamed with TMZ. *shrugs* So don’t like us, we don’t care.
4. Somehow they still find a way to bitch. – WHAT? Why is this even a point?
5. I am not even commenting on #5, it makes no sense.
6. The Steel Curtain is the Worst Metaphor ever – so? the point is, it can close on you when you least expect it, you think you raised the curtain and suddenly, you are met by steel.Â You already hate us, so let us have our “sucky” metaphors!
7. A final screw you from the readers – well readers of deadspin aren’t likely Steelers fans in the first place.Â And going back to your own point #2 – many Steelers fans are women, but what you forgot to include is the level of education those women have.Â Steelers female fans also have the highest levels of education. In fact, the majority of female football fans have high levels of education.Â That said, do you think we want to read the combo of Fox News and TMZ? Nope. We don’t.
Bottom line, if Aaron hadn’t tagged me in this post, I never would have seen it.Â And I wouldn’t have cared. In fact, I would have been able to sit and watch NFL Gameday in peace while sipping my coffee rather than writing this post.Â But I had to respond.Â It’s in my nature.Â Plus, I just like annoying Aaron.
Why? because I am an obnoxious female Steelers fan. Six Six Six.
Have a great week 2 Gameday my friends!