On a beautiful Thursday night in Pittsburgh, I was able to take Steelerboy (my 13-year-old son) to his first ever NFL game to see the Steelers play the Cardinals in the first pre-season game of the year.
This is a great time of year – where we gear up for regular season play – but also a time of heartbreak for those who won’t necessarily make that final roster. Â Heartbreaking as it may be, there are some who will not make the team.
Here are my thoughts following the game:
- Limas gained some confidence. Â Steeler Nation cheered him on as he caught his first pass of the game. Â We are all hoping he has grown from last year – a lot of rookie WRs struggle their first year. Â What we’ve seen so far looks like he’s been working hard and wants to play.
- I still LOVE Ziggy.
- Mendenhall had a lot of reps early in the game. Â Not a lot of yardage. Â But then again, if we keep being predictable and sending both RM and FWP up the middle, then who is really to blame? Â Can Arians mix the run game up just a little?
- Mike Wallace looked good…rookie hands…but looked good. Â On the same note, Shaun McDonald didn’t play bad either. Â He seemed to be able to get open for Dixon in the 4th quarter.
- I liked the way Joe Burnett played with passion, but at 5’9″ is he really tall enough? Â He seemed to play bigger than he is, but still….with Ike, William Gay, Deshea or even Keenan Lewis, I’m just not sure what his future looks like on this team.
- It’s great to see Sepulveda back and kicking on average 50 yards. Â You never know how much you miss a punter until you don’t have one. Â And Jeff Reid is a beast- extremely accurate as always. Â Piotr Czech kicked a few field goals as well, one he missed and shouldn’t have but the rest, accurate.
Those are my initial thoughts on what was a beautiful night. The way to do it in Pittsburgh, if you are coming from the South Side anyway – park at Station Square – far end from the Gateway Clipper – have some drinks and then take the ferry to the stadium. Â Best way to get in and out of a game, in my opinion.
Will have more thoughts following the game at FedEx where I will be taking Steelerboy to his second NFL game.